We work with most major insurance carriers. To find out your coverage options, fill out the form below and one of our admissions representatives will contact you as soon as possible.
Study shows that work stress is correlated with increased alcohol consumption and drug abuse.
Our incredible intake team is ready to answer all your questions and guide you through the process.
August 26, 2022
The evidence comes from a study in which over 600 employees from diverse industries got surveyed. Here are some main connective factors between work-related stress and substance abuse.
1. Substance Abuse as a Means of Coping - Employees lean to drug and alcohol dependence to cope with job stress. Some may use alcohol to unwind after work, while others use it as a coping mechanism to forget their problems. High levels of stress might also cause employees to become more withdrawn and shun social interaction after work, which causes the individual to draw further away from friends and loved ones, making it easier for substance abuse to take root.
2. Threat to Work - An employee may not want to admit it, but having a drink or two after work might signal that they feel threatened by the workplace. It means that employees feel repressed or hurt by their colleagues, which is enough for them to self-medicate with drug use and engage in alcohol use.
3. Unrealistic Expectations from Bosses - Most workplaces set up unrealistic expectations for employees. These expectations result in work-related stress as well as substance abuse. These unrealistic expectations cause employees to feel they have not reached their targets even after several years or months of hard work. When this happens, an employee will eventually lean towards drug dependence as an unhealthy coping strategy to deal with annoyance and anger.
4. Low Self-Esteem - In a work environment, one person's skills or ability is usually measured against other individuals or a group. When employees achieve less than their peers, the result is low self-esteem and substance abuse. Workplace stress can also be caused by superiors who are verbally abusive to their subordinates. This kind of treatment causes employees to feel negative about themselves and lack the motivation needed to complete tasks properly and on time. These kinds of conditions can be risk factors for poor mental health that can develop into depression which in turn leads to alcohol abuse and drug abuse.
5. Remedies For Countering Stress at the Workplace - There are certain methods that a person can use to alleviate high stress. These include.
6. Proper Communication - Having the right dialogue between a worker and their managers can be beneficial to both parties. It keeps the worker from drowning in occupational stress as well as from using drugs. We recommend having open forums at the workplace. It allows both parties to understand each other better and rectify any stressful situations.
7. Building Stronger Relationships at Work - Building strong relationships in the workplace is also an effective method of coping with work stress. It can also improve a person's ability to deal with concerns and perform better at work.
8. Having a Supportive Network at Work - A supportive network of friends helps relieve work-related stress. It helps by alleviating any anxiety, tension, or restlessness that an employee might have. It is also a great way of maintaining a healthy and positive attitude in the workplace.
9. Positive Reinforcement - The prevalence of stressful events in the workplace should not be handled in a negative manner. Positive reinforcement is a great way of keeping employees motivated and reducing work stressors. It gives employees the drive and passion needed to keep on working without feeling the need to take drugs or drink. This allows for a healthy form of stress management which is necessary for substance abuse treatment.
10. Discouraging Unhealthy Workplace Competition - Workplace competition is a very healthy practice. However, when it begins to create extreme tension and stress, it becomes unhealthy and can lead to substance abuse. Treatment Options for Substance Abuse Getting treatment for substance abuse is a vital part of the recovery process. It facilitates recovery and gives you access to support, resources, and good health.
11. Counseling - There are several types of counseling that address substance abuse. Some of these include: -Individual counseling. -Group counseling. -Family counseling. -Peer counseling. However, we recommend individual counseling as it is more personal and tailored to the needs of the person dealing with substance abuse due to acute stress.
12. Treatment and Rehabilitation - Treatment is important after a person has been admitted to substance abuse. It gives the person a clean slate that they can use to start life afresh after learning to live with their substance use disorder. Outpatient programs are some of the most popular options we recommend for this situation. They allow the individual to continue with their daily life while still receiving treatment for substance abuse.
13. Meditation - Meditation is one of the best group therapies for people dealing with substance abuse due to work stress. It helps to release stress and anxiety in healthy ways while also giving you a clear perspective on the root cause of your addiction. Hollywood Hills is There for You Are you dealing with substance abuse? Has work stress become too much for you to handle? Are you dealing with drug addiction? Then you should not suffer in silence. Hollywood Hills is here for you, and we can be your source of support, comfort, and addiction treatment.